Time to update my bucket list.
I wrote this a little more than a year ago. Here’s what the list was then, and how it’s going (items in green are in-progress or done!):
1. Write a novel.
How it’s going: I have written the first draft of a novel. And I am working on the first draft of a second novel. Not too shabby, but I have a long way to go! I’ll add my new goal is to make my novel reader-ready!
2. Live in New York City.
How it’s going: I didn’t even make it to NYC in 2009, a fact I’m very bummed about. I still plan to do this at some point though. This is a long-term goal!
3. Travel to all of the continents (this is Jeff’s idea actually, but I am on board!)
How it’s going: It’s not. But it’s still on the docket! I have been to two of them!
4. Become a successfully published writer of both fiction and poetry (how does one define success on these things?)
How it’s going: Well, if you count #1 as progress then this is making some sort of headway!
5. Win a non-newspaper related design award (have 4 newspaper-related ones)
How it’s going: I guess you have to enter to win, huh? I need to get on this.
6. Get another college degree (photography, graphic design, or writing. Or all 3!)
How it’s going: Still want to do this. But if I’m being honest, I want to do this less than I did a year ago. Need to get my creativity back on the front burner!
7. Run a half-marathon (lemme do this first, then we’ll talk about a full one)
How it’s going: I cannot believe it was me that wrote this! A year ago I couldn’t even imagine something longer than a 10K. Then Kevin started running. And he is very ambitious. And when he asked me earlier this year if I wanted to run a marathon, I laughed. Then I said, “Really?” Then I said, “Ok!” So I have Kevin to thank for me knocking this one out of the park! I ran my first half-marathon a few weeks ago in preparation for the full one I’m running in a few weeks! Take that, bucket list!
8. Go for an extended hiking trip (Appalachian Trail, perhaps?)
How it’s going: Ok, I really really really want to do this still.
9. Live in another country for at least a short time.
How it’s going: This one I was thinking of as a retirement-age goal, so we’ll talk about it in 30 years or so!
10. Take up cycling, both for exercise and transportation.
How it’s going: Done! I’m still shaky on the bike, but I rode my new road bike last weekend to meet Colleen for breakfast, and I have ridden a borrowed mountain bike to meet Amy for coffee, and I have ridden them both for exercise.
General thoughts: I’m proud of the progress made regarding the fitness and the writing, not so much the traveling. It’s been a little tight money-wise, so I think that makes sense. Reading this list again, the item I get most excited about (other than the ones that are already in progress!) is #8, an extended hiking trip. Even if I have to plan it for a few years from now, it’s time to start thinking about it! Who wants to take 3 months to hike the Appalachian Trail?